W4 - Hanover Park, Philippi, Wetton
Construction Work Package W4
Areas affected: Hanover Park, Philippi, Wynberg
Start date: July 2022
Planned end date: 2026
In July 2022, construction will start along Govan Mbeki Road in Hanover Park, Philippi and Wetton. Work to upgrade roads and intersections, build bus lanes and stations, and upgrade pavements and street lighting for cycling and walking is planned to take 4 years.
A striking, elevated traffic circle will be built at the intersection of Govan Mbeki Road and Jan Smuts Drive, where various MyCiTi routes will meet. The first of its kind, the ‘Sky Circle’ is designed to provide buses with uninterrupted travel across the intersection, without delaying traffic below.
- Upgrade of 2,25km of Govan Mbeki Road, including dedicated MyCiTi lanes
- Upgrade of 700m of Jan Smuts Drive on both sides of Govan Mbeki Road
- Upgrade of 840m of Hanover Park Avenue
- Construction of Hanover Park MyCiTi station
- Construction of elevated traffic circle at the intersection of Govan Mbeki Road and Jan Smuts Drive
- Widening of the tunnel in Govan Mbeki Road over the Lotus River canal
- Non-motorised transport infrastructure
- Signage, street lighting, electrical works, landscaping, drainage, technology infrastructure, ducting and road markings
How it will affect you
Work will take place in phases, starting with the intersection of Govan Mbeki Road and Jan Smuts Drive.
Traffic will be accommodated throughout construction using temporary detours, and walkways for pedestrians. Access to properties and businesses will also be maintained and work will be scheduled to limit the impact on pedestrians. Despite efforts to minimise disruption, the work will result in further congestion. Road users are urged to consider public transport, ride-sharing and liftclub options, or to avoid travelling during busy peak times.
The City realises the inconvenience involved and would appreciate the patience of everyone affected, who can look forward to better public transport, smoother traffic flow, improved walking and cycling facilities, and an investment in surrounding areas that will benefit generations to come.
Local labour will be used during construction, with skills transfer and training available through learnerships. There will also be opportunities for local subcontractors to provide goods and services. Anyone interested should register on the Subcouncil database
W4 Project Updates
Road users alerted to lane closures at Govan Mbeki Rd/Jan Smuts Dr intersection - 21 September 2022