W3 - Jan Smuts Drive
Construction Work Package W3
Area affected: Jan Smuts Drive in Lansdowne
Description of Works
The project will entail the upgrading of a 2 km long section of Jan Smuts Drive from a single carriageway to a dual carriageway arterial with exclusive transit lanes along the median.
The works included:
- The construction of the northbound carriageway of Jan Smuts Drive;
- The reconstruction of a large portion of the existing southbound carriageway;
- The construction of two-way dedicated bus transit lanes located in the centre of the road crosssection;
- The upgrading of the two major intersections of Jan Smuts Drive with Turf Hall Road and Blomvlei Road;
- The construction of the substructure for one closed median bus station and one open median bus stop;
- Associated NMT (non-motorised transport) infrastructure;
- All ancillary services including all signage, streetlighting, electrical works, landscaping, drainage, IS&T services, ducting and roadmarkings;
- The protection or relocation of all unknown services if identified during construction; and Pavement rehabilitation where required.