The City of Cape Town’s Urban Mobility Directorate is proposing a MyCiTi bus staging facility for buses and drivers in Wynberg. The facility will be located adjacent to Wetton Road, in close proximity to the M5 and Rosmead Avenue. Residents and interested and affected parties are encouraged to submit their comments by 9 December 2022.
The proposed facility will be constructed on vacant City owned land.
‘We are busy implementing the infrastructure that is needed for the roll-out of the MyCiTi service to the metro-south east, Wynberg and Claremont. This includes not only stations and stops, and red bus lanes, but also facilities to support the bus operations where the bus fleet can be housed, serviced and maintained, and drivers can eat and relax.
‘As we are working on expanding the MyCiTi footprint, we need a bus staging facility that is close to the two MyCiTi stations in Wynberg, as such, we have identified a piece of City owned land for this purpose,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Urban Mobility, Councillor Rob Quintas.
Details about the proposed bus staging facility:
- It will be on City owned land, located south of Wetton Road, west of the M5 and adjacent to other City facilities
- It will include a fenced staging area, a security kiosk, and a rest facility for bus drivers, with ablution facilities.
- Initially, it will serve as a day time bus staging facility to be operational by December 2026, if all goes as planned.
- The entrance will be off Wetton Road, with the buildings adjacent to the road
- The land is 5,5ha in size, a large portion of which was historically used as a dump site for construction rubble, thus limiting development potential
- A small area closest to Wetton Road is suitable for the development of buildings, whereas the rest will be surfaced for bus parking
- The proposed facility and buildings are positioned in such a way that these will have no impact on the Wynberg Sports Precinct, M5 road reserve, and Bonnytoun settlement
The public information day will be hosted as follows:
- On Thursday, 17 November 2022
- At the Wittebome Civic Centre on the corner of Rosmead and Byrnes Avenues, Wittebome, Wynberg
- From 14:00 to 19:00
How to comment:
- The closing date for comments is Friday, 9 December 2022
- Submit a comment via www.capetown.gov.za/haveyoursay
- Send an email to Transport.email@example.com
- Hand in written comments at the Subcouncil 20 office
- Attend the information day on 17 November 2022
‘I encourage residents to use this opportunity to comment on the proposed concept design for this facility. All are invited to attend the public information day where officials will be able to answer questions; or otherwise, submit comments online or in person. We will take these into account when we finalise the detailed design,’ said Councillor Quintas.