The City of Cape Town has suspended its MyCiTi and Dial-a-Ride services in Hout Bay in the interest of the safety of commuters and personnel. This is after public violence erupted in Hout Bay this morning, Monday 5 September 2022, which included the stoning of MyCiTi buses and private vehicles in and around Suikerbossie and Hout Bay Gateway Circle, as well as the burning of tires at the Circle.

Many MyCiTi commuters and Dial-A-Ride(DAR) users from Hout Bay have been left stranded due to the violence. Unfortunately, the City can only resume services once it is safe to operate in this area.

‘We have confirmation that three MyCiTi buses have been stoned in Imizamo Yethu, one of which was petrol bombed. Thankfully, we have not been informed of any injuries to passengers or bus drivers. I want to condemn the violence in the strongest possible terms. Fire and stones will not resolve anything, we all need to abide by the law and engage in a peaceful and respectful manner,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Urban Mobility, Councillor Rob Quintas.

The City notes the complaints from the Hout Bay Taxi Association (HBTA) regarding the compensation related to the roll-out of Phase 1 of the MyCiTi service.

The City has been engaging with HBTA since 2014 in respect of this process and will continue to do so. This matter is currently on the Western Cape High Court roll, it has been initiated by HBTA, and the City is awaiting the court’s ruling on this matter.

‘Any behaviour that results in learners and workers not being able to commute, as well residents feeling unsafe and being the victims of violence, and any damages to public or private property must be condemned for the thuggish and brutish activities that they are. This unfortunate suspension of MyCiTi and DAR services has a direct impact on the livelihood of these passengers as they depend on the availability of these transport services, but we cannot risk their safety while this unrest continues,’ said Councillor Quintas.

The City will continue to engage with the HBTA and will be meeting with the leadership from the community to find a solution. Law Enforcement is currently working with other joint operational services to ensure access in and out of the area as far as possible.

The City cannot risk the lives of the passengers and its staff while this violence continues. We will only resume operations once it is safe to do so.