The City of Cape Town intends to build a new MyCiTi station in Maitland. This forms part of the expansion of the MyCiTi service footprint. The bus station will be located adjacent to the Maitland rail station and existing minibus-taxi facility in Ferndale Drive. However, this will necessitate the conversion of Ferndale Drive and a small section of Station Road into one-way streets to improve traffic flow. Residents and interested and affected parties are encouraged to comment on the proposal to turn these roads into one-way streets as from 19 September to 20 October 2022.
‘The new MyCiTi station will be built next to the Maitland rail station and opposite the existing minibus-taxi facility to improve integration between the different modes of transport. With the public transport services close together, commuters will find it easy to transfer from the one mode – be it passenger rail or minibus-taxis – to the MyCiTi bus service to commute to the Cape Town CBD and beyond,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Urban Mobility, Councillor Rob Quintas.
The City is proposing to:
- turn Ferndale Drive into a one-way street between the intersection with Station Road and Voortrekker Road to improve traffic flow around the public transport facilities and make it safer for commuters walking to and from the area
- turn a short section of Station Road into a one-way street from where it intersects with Ferndale Drive to improve traffic flow for minibus-taxis and the MyCiTi buses on their way to these facilities
- reshape a section of Ferndale Drive in the vicinity of the station and minibus-taxi facility to accommodate pedestrian movement and trading
- upgrade the existing walkway between Voortrekker Road and Ferndale Drive with new pathways and improved lighting for better visibility and safety after dark; and
- improve the intersection of Ferndale Drive and Voortrekker Road with the installation of traffic signals
How to comment on the above proposals:
- Residents and interested parties are encouraged to submit comments from 19 September to 20 October 2022
- Submit a comment via www.capetown.gov.za/haveyoursay
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (quote reference number MS001/2022)
- Hand in your written comments at the Subcouncil 15 office, Pinelands Training Centre, St Stephens Road, Central Square, Pinelands
All are invited to a public information day:
- Wednesday, 28 September 2022, from 14:00 to 19:00, at the Maitland Town Hall on the corner of Ferndale Drive and Voortrekker Road, Maitland
‘If all goes as planned, construction will commence in July 2024 with the MyCiTi station becoming operational by mid-2026. Once the station is ready to receive commuters, we will add new routes between Dunoon and Century City via Maitland; Omuramba, Salt River and the CBD via Maitland, and Century City rail station and the Maitland rail station.
‘The new MyCiTi station will not only improve access and integration between the different public transport services, but also improve the overall efficiency of the MyCiTi service. I encourage residents to please attend the public information day where they can ask officials for more information, and to submit comments on our proposed one-way street conversions. We are eager to hear your thoughts,’ said Councillor Quintas.